Thursday, August 1, 2013

What I Read on My Summer Vacation

So we were in Myrtle Beach not too long ago and I spent a lot of time under the umbrella and in the jacuzzi tub reading!  Thought I'd give you a little review of what I read.

1.  A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Sophie Hudson

I actually read this and discussed with a group of girls from my church.  I had read about half of it before we went to the beach and I finished it up while there.   This is actually not considered Christian Fiction.  It's more of a memoir even though she changed up some names of people and places.  The author has a blog, Boo Mama that I have followed off and on.  She's a pretty funny lady and the book didn't disappoint.  The subject was mostly family.  Among the humor there were a lot of really touching moments.  


2. Secrets Over Sweet Tea by Denise Hildreth Jones

Wow.  This book was a bit heavy (in a good way).  Though there were some funny moments--one of the characters is quite unique--it really dealt with three different marriages, two of which were in turmoil.   I found it riveting.  A bonus is that it's set in Franklin, TN....a place I've actually visited.


From the Back Cover

Secrets can be funny things . . .
We think they keep us safe, but more often than not, they spill out when we least expect and make a mess out of everything. It’s a truth Scarlett Jo Newberry knows all too well—a truth Grace Shepherd and Zach Craig are about to learn the hard way.

As the lives of this boisterous pastor’s wife, polished news anchor, and beleaguered divorce attorney intersect on the tree-lined streets of Franklin, Tennessee, scandal threatens to topple their carefully constructed worlds. Grasping at survival, they embark on a journey of friendship and courage, desperate to find a way back to laughter, love, and life.

This was the second in a series set in the fictional Hope Beach, somewhere in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  As much as I loved the first book, Tidewater Inn, this one was even better!  Great suspense with a little romance thrown in.

No comments:

Post a Comment