Monday, August 12, 2013

How do I find good Christian fiction books?

I get this question sometimes.   And then the person usually just says I'm their personal book reccommender.  Is that even a word?   Well, I'd love to be yours....but if you want to try to find books on your own here are a few tips.


1.  Amazon
Generally if you shop (or just browse) on amazon it will take what you look at and formulate recommendations for you.  Or, you can search for a book you've already read and liked then check out the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" list just under the product information.  Usually that provides similar books or others by that particular author.  I find many books this way.  Amazon also sells used books for great prices!

2. Goodreads.com
Go to the link above and sign up--it's free.  It will take you through a process of rating some books you've read and then give you recommendations.  You can "friend" people  (I'm on there---look up by my email address) and see what they are reading.  You can look up Christian fiction lists and join Christian fiction groups.

3. Faithful Reader
This is a great website with book reviews of both Christian fiction and nonfiction.

4. Book Awards
Check out the Christy Awards and the Christian Book Awards.   If a book is listed here, you can bet it's probably a good read!

5.  Browse your local bookstore.
Of course stores like Lifeway and Family Christian have a good selection, but I've found my local Barnes and Noble to be a good source also.   I like to buy used books but I can see what catches my interest and make a note to look for that book.

6.  Your local library
Most libraries don't have a "Christian Fiction" section, but if you know an author you like it's easy to find more books!


I'm always checking goodwill for used books (can't beat $1 for a book!).  I also like ebay and amazon for buying used books.

Another great option is Paperbackswap.  You can register for free!  This runs on a credit system and it starts you out with a free credit.  You can list your gently used books and folks will ask for them.  You pay the postage (they have mailing labels to print) and send it off.  Then you can chose a book and the person who has it pays the postage.  The website explains it in great detail.   I've gotten tons of books this way.  You can also search the available books by genre.   If you sign up, use me as a referral!


I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment